- Research Article
- Open Access
Strong Convergence Theorem for a New General System of Variational Inequalities in Banach Spaces
© S. Imnang and S. Suantai. 2010
- Received: 26 July 2010
- Accepted: 30 December 2010
- Published: 4 January 2011
We introduce a new system of general variational inequalities in Banach spaces. The equivalence between this system of variational inequalities and fixed point problems concerning the nonexpansive mapping is established. By using this equivalent formulation, we introduce an iterative scheme for finding a solution of the system of variational inequalities in Banach spaces. Our main result extends a recent result acheived by Yao, Noor, Noor, Liou, and Yaqoob.
- Banach Space
- Variational Inequality
- Nonexpansive Mapping
- Variational Inequality Problem
- Real Banach Space
In particular, if , the mapping is called the normalized duality mapping and usually, we write . If is a Hilbert space, then . Further, we have the following properties of the generalized duality mapping :
It is known that if is smooth, then is single-valued, which is denoted by . Recall that the duality mapping is said to be weakly sequentially continuous if for each with weakly, we have weakly- . We know that if admits a weakly sequentially continuous duality mapping, then is smooth. For the details, see the work of Gossez and Lami Dozo in .
A subset of is called a sunny nonexpansive retraction of if there exists a sunny nonexpansive retraction from onto . It is well known that if is a Hilbert space, then a sunny nonexpansive retraction is coincident with the metric projection from onto .
where is a Hilbert space and is a mapping from into . The variational inequality has been widely studied in the literature; see, for example, the work of Chang et al. in , Zhao and He , Plubtieng and Punpaeng , Yao et al.  and the references therein.
which is defined by Verma  and is called the new system of variational inequalities. Further, if we add up the requirement that , then problem (1.11) reduces to the classical variational inequality .
The problem (1.12) is very interesting as it is connected with the fixed point problem for nonlinear mapping and the problem of finding a zero point of an accretive operator in Banach spaces, see [9–11] and the references therein.
where for all and , are two sequences in . Using the demiclosedness principle for nonexpansive mapping, we will show that the sequence converges strongly to a solution of a new general system of variational inequalities in Banach spaces under some control conditions.
In this section, we recall the well known results and give some useful lemmas that will be used in the next section.
Lemma 2.1 (see ).
The following lemma concerns the sunny nonexpansive retraction.
The first result regarding the existence of sunny nonexpansive retractions on the fixed point set of a nonexpansive mapping is due to Bruck .
Lemma 2.4 (see ).
Lemma 2.5 (see ).
Lemma 2.6 (see ).
In this section, we establish the equivalence between the new general system of variational inequalities (1.17) and some fixed point problem involving a nonexpansive mapping. Using the demiclosedness principle for nonexpansive mapping, we prove that the iterative scheme (1.18) converges strongly to a solution of a new general system of variational inequalities (1.17) in a Banach space under some control conditions. In order to prove our main result, the following lemmas are needed.
The next lemmas are crucial for proving the main theorem.
Let be a nonempty closed convex subset of a real smooth Banach space . Let be the sunny nonexpansive retraction from onto . Let be three nonlinear mappings. For given , is a solution of problem (1.17) if and only if , and , where is the mapping defined as in Lemma 3.2.
Let be a nonempty closed convex subset of a uniformly convex and 2-uniformly smooth Banach space which admits a weakly sequentially continuous duality mapping. Let be the sunny nonexpansive retraction from onto . Let the mappings be -inverse strongly accretive with , for all and . For given , let the sequence be generated iteratively by (1.18). Suppose the sequences and are two sequences in such that
Corollary 3.5 (see [5, Theorem 3.1]).
The authors wish to express their gratitude to the referees for careful reading of the manuscript and helpful suggestions. The authors would like to thank the Commission on Higher Education, the Thailand Research Fund, the Thaksin university, the Centre of Excellence in Mathematics, and the Graduate School of Chiang Mai University, Thailand for their financial support.
- Gossez J-P, Lami Dozo E: Some geometric properties related to the fixed point theory for nonexpansive mappings. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1972, 40: 565–573.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Chang S-S, Lee HWJ, Chan CK: A new method for solving equilibrium problem fixed point problem and variational inequality problem with application to optimization. Nonlinear Analysis. Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,70(9):3307–3319. 10.1016/j.na.2008.04.035MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Zhao J, He S: A new iterative method for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of infinitely nonexpansive mappings and monotone mappings. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2009,215(2):670–680. 10.1016/j.amc.2009.05.041MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Plubtieng S, Punpaeng R: A new iterative method for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of nonexpansive mappings and monotone mappings. Applied Mathematics and Computation 2008,197(2):548–558. 10.1016/j.amc.2007.07.075MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yao Y, Noor MA, Inayat Noor K, Liou Y-C, Yaqoob H: Modified extragradient methods for a system of variational inequalities in Banach spaces. Acta Applicandae Mathematicae 2010,110(3):1211–1224. 10.1007/s10440-009-9502-9MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ceng L-C, Wang C-Y, Yao J-C: Strong convergence theorems by a relaxed extragradient method for a general system of variational inequalities. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 2008,67(3):375–390. 10.1007/s00186-007-0207-4MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Verma RamU: On a new system of nonlinear variational inequalities and associated iterative algorithms. Mathematical Sciences Research Hot-Line 1999,3(8):65–68.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Aoyama K, Iiduka H, Takahashi W: Weak convergence of an iterative sequence for accretive operators in Banach spaces. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2006, 2006:-13.Google Scholar
- Goebel K, Reich S: Uniform Convexity, Hyperbolic Geometry, and Nonexpansive Mappings. Volume 83. Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA; 1984:ix+170.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Reich S: Extension problems for accretive sets in Banach spaces. Journal of Functional Analysis 1977,26(4):378–395. 10.1016/0022-1236(77)90022-2View ArticleMathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Reich S: Product formulas, nonlinear semigroups, and accretive operators. Journal of Functional Analysis 1980,36(2):147–168. 10.1016/0022-1236(80)90097-XMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE, Petryshyn WV: Construction of fixed points of nonlinear mappings in Hilbert space. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1967, 20: 197–228. 10.1016/0022-247X(67)90085-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Gol'shteĭn EG, Tret'yakov NV: Modified Lagrangians in convex programming and their generalizations. Mathematical Programming Study 1979, (10):86–97.Google Scholar
- Hao Y: Strong convergence of an iterative method for inverse strongly accretive operators. Journal of Inequalities and Applications 2008, 2008:-9.Google Scholar
- Xu HK: Inequalities in Banach spaces with applications. Nonlinear Analysis. Theory, Methods & Applications 1991,16(12):1127–1138. 10.1016/0362-546X(91)90200-KMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bruck, RdE Jr.: Nonexpansive retracts of Banach spaces. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 1970, 76: 384–386. 10.1090/S0002-9904-1970-12486-7MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Reich S: Asymptotic behavior of contractions in Banach spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1973, 44: 57–70. 10.1016/0022-247X(73)90024-3MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bruck, RE Jr.: Nonexpansive projections on subsets of Banach spaces. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1973, 47: 341–355.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xu H-K: Viscosity approximation methods for nonexpansive mappings. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004,298(1):279–291. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.04.059MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Strong convergence of Krasnoselskii and Mann's type sequences for one-parameter nonexpansive semigroups without Bochner integrals. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2005,305(1):227–239. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.11.017MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE: Fixed-point theorems for noncompact mappings in Hilbert space. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1965, 53: 1272–1276. 10.1073/pnas.53.6.1272MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.