- Research Article
- Open Access
A Viscosity of Cesàro Mean Approximation Methods for a Mixed Equilibrium, Variational Inequalities, and Fixed Point Problems
© Thanyarat Jitpeera et al. 2011
- Received: 6 September 2010
- Accepted: 15 October 2010
- Published: 20 October 2010
We introduce a new iterative method for finding a common element of the set of solutions for mixed equilibrium problem, the set of solutions of the variational inequality for a -inverse-strongly monotone mapping, and the set of fixed points of a family of finitely nonexpansive mappings in a real Hilbert space by using the viscosity and Cesàro mean approximation method. We prove that the sequence converges strongly to a common element of the above three sets under some mind conditions. Our results improve and extend the corresponding results of Kumam and Katchang (2009), Peng and Yao (2009), Shimizu and Takahashi (1997), and some authors.
- Variational Inequality
- Equilibrium Problem
- Monotone Mapping
- Nonexpansive Mapping
- Real Hilbert Space
Throughout this paper, we assume that is a real Hilbert space with inner product and norm are denoted by and , respectively and let be a nonempty closed convex subset of . A mapping is called if , for all . We use to denote the set of fixed points of , that is, . It is assumed throughout the paper that is a nonexpansive mapping such that . Recall that a self-mapping is a on if there exists a constant and such that
The set of solutions of (1.2) is denoted by . The mixed equilibrium problems include fixed point problems, variational inequality problems, optimization problems, Nash equilibrium problems, and the equilibrium problem as special cases. Numerous problems in physics, optimization, and economics reduce to find a solution of (1.2). Some methods have been proposed to solve the equilibrium problem (see [2–14]).
In this paper, motivated by the above results and the iterative schemes considered in [9, 18–20], we introduce a new iterative process below based on viscosity and Cesàro mean approximation method for finding a common element of the set of fixed points of a family of finitely nonexpansive mappings, the set of solutions of the variational inequality problem for a -inverse-strongly monotone mapping and the set of solutions of a mixed equilibrium problem in a real Hilbert space. Then, we prove strong convergence theorems which are connected with [5, 21–24]. We extend and improve the corresponding results of Kumam and Katchang , Peng and Yao , Shimizu and Takahashi  and some authors.
Then is the maximal monotone and if and only if ; see .
(B2)C is a bounded set.
We need the following lemmas for proving our main results.
Lemma 2.1 (Peng and Yao ).
Lemma 2.2 (Xu ).
Lemma 2.3 (Osilike and Igbokwe ).
Lemma 2.4 (Suzuki ).
Lemma 2.5 (Marino and Xu ).
Lemma 2.6 (Bruck ).
In this section, we show a strong convergence theorem for finding a common element of the set of fixed points of a family of finitely nonexpansive mappings, the set of solutions of mixed equilibrium problem and the set of solutions of a variational inequality problem for a -inverse-strongly monotone mapping in a real Hilbert space by using the viscosity of Cesàro mean approximation method.
Using Theorem 3.1, we obtain the following corollaries.
The authors would like to thank the Faculty of science KMUTT. Poom Kumam was supported by the Thailand Research Fund and the Commission on Higher Education under Grant no. MRG5380044.
- Ceng L-C, Yao J-C: A hybrid iterative scheme for mixed equilibrium problems and fixed point problems. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 2008,214(1):186–201. 10.1016/j.cam.2007.02.022MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Burachik RS, Lopes JO, Da Silva GJP: An inexact interior point proximal method for the variational inequality problem. Computational & Applied Mathematics 2009,28(1):15–36.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Blum E, Oettli W: From optimization and variational inequalities to equilibrium problems. The Mathematics Student 1994,63(1–4):123–145.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Flåm SD, Antipin AS: Equilibrium programming using proximal-like algorithms. Mathematical Programming 1997,78(1):29–41.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kumam P: Strong convergence theorems by an extragradient method for solving variational inequalities and equilibrium problems in a Hilbert space. Turkish Journal of Mathematics 2009,33(1):85–98.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kumam P: A hybrid approximation method for equilibrium and fixed point problems for a monotone mapping and a nonexpansive mapping. Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems 2008,2(4):1245–1255. 10.1016/j.nahs.2008.09.017MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kumam P: A new hybrid iterative method for solution of equilibrium problems and fixed point problems for an inverse strongly monotone operator and a nonexpansive mapping. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computing 2009,29(1–2):263–280. 10.1007/s12190-008-0129-1MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kumam P, Jaiboon C: A new hybrid iterative method for mixed equilibrium problems and variational inequality problem for relaxed cocoercive mappings with application to optimization problems. Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems 2009,3(4):510–530. 10.1016/j.nahs.2009.04.001MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kumam P, Katchang P: A viscosity of extragradient approximation method for finding equilibrium problems, variational inequalities and fixed point problems for nonexpansive mappings. Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems 2009,3(4):475–486. 10.1016/j.nahs.2009.03.006MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Moudafi A, Théra M: Proximal and dynamical approaches to equilibrium problems. In Ill-Posed Variational Problems and Regularization Techniques, Lecture Notes in Econom. and Math. Systems. Volume 477. Springer, Berlin, Germany; 1999:187–201.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Wang Z, Su Y: Strong convergence theorems of common elements for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems in Banach paces. Journal of Applied Mathematics & Informatics 2010,28(3–4):783–796.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Wangkeeree R, Wangkeeree R: Strong convergence of the iterative scheme based on the extragradient method for mixed equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of an infinite family of nonexpansive mappings. Nonlinear Analysis: Hybrid Systems 2009,3(4):719–733. 10.1016/j.nahs.2009.06.009MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yao Y, Noor MA, Zainab S, Liou Y-C: Mixed equilibrium problems and optimization problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2009,354(1):319–329. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2008.12.055MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yao Y, Cho YJ, Chen R: An iterative algorithm for solving fixed point problems, variational inequality problems and mixed equilibrium problems. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,71(7–8):3363–3373. 10.1016/j.na.2009.01.236MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Yao J-C, Chadli O: Pseudomonotone complementarity problems and variational inequalities. In Handbook of Generalized Convexity and Generalized Monotonicity, Nonconvex Optim. Appl.. Volume 76. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 2005:501–558. 10.1007/0-387-23393-8_12View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Zeng LC, Schaible S, Yao JC: Iterative algorithm for generalized set-valued strongly nonlinear mixed variational-like inequalities. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2005,124(3):725–738. 10.1007/s10957-004-1182-zMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Marino G, Xu H-K: A general iterative method for nonexpansive mappings in Hilbert spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2006,318(1):43–52. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2005.05.028MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Shimizu T, Takahashi W: Strong convergence to common fixed points of families of nonexpansive mappings. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1997,211(1):71–83. 10.1006/jmaa.1997.5398MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Plubtieng S, Punpaeng R: A general iterative method for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems in Hilbert spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007,336(1):455–469. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2007.02.044MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Peng J-W, Yao J-C: Strong convergence theorems of iterative scheme based on the extragradient method for mixed equilibrium problems and fixed point problems. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 2009,49(9–10):1816–1828. 10.1016/j.mcm.2008.11.014MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Su Y, Shang M, Qin X: An iterative method of solution for equilibrium and optimization problems. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2008,69(8):2709–2719. 10.1016/j.na.2007.08.045MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wangkeeree R: An extragradient approximation method for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of a countable family of nonexpansive mappings. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2008, 2008:-17.Google Scholar
- Liou Y-C, Yao Y: Iterative algorithms for nonexpansive mappings. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2008, 2008:-10.Google Scholar
- Yao Y, Liou Y-C, Yao J-C: Convergence theorem for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of infinite family of nonexpansive mappings. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2007, 2007:-12.Google Scholar
- Opial Z: Weak convergence of the sequence of successive approximations for nonexpansive mappings. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 1967, 73: 591–597. 10.1090/S0002-9904-1967-11761-0MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Rockafellar RT: On the maximality of sums of nonlinear monotone operators. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 1970, 149: 75–88. 10.1090/S0002-9947-1970-0282272-5MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xu H-K: Viscosity approximation methods for nonexpansive mappings. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004,298(1):279–291. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.04.059MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Osilike MO, Igbokwe DI: Weak and strong convergence theorems for fixed points of pseudocontractions and solutions of monotone type operator equations. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2000,40(4–5):559–567. 10.1016/S0898-1221(00)00179-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Strong convergence of Krasnoselskii and Mann's type sequences for one-parameter nonexpansive semigroups without Bochner integrals. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2005,305(1):227–239. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.11.017MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bruck RE: On the convex approximation property and the asymptotic behavior of nonlinear contractions in Banach spaces. Israel Journal of Mathematics 1981,38(4):304–314. 10.1007/BF02762776MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xu HK: An iterative approach to quadratic optimization. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2003,116(3):659–678. 10.1023/A:1023073621589MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.