- Research Article
- Open Access
Strong Convergence Theorems for an Infinite Family of Equilibrium Problems and Fixed Point Problems for an Infinite Family of Asymptotically Strict Pseudocontractions
© Shenghua Wang et al. 2011
- Received: 12 October 2010
- Accepted: 29 January 2011
- Published: 23 February 2011
We prove a strong convergence theorem for an infinite family of asymptotically strict pseudo-contractions and an infinite family of equilibrium problems in a Hilbert space. Our proof is simple and different from those of others, and the main results extend and improve those of many others.
- Hilbert Space
- Convex Subset
- Equilibrium Problem
- Nonexpansive Mapping
- Iterative Scheme
(2) is called asymptotically nonexpansive  if there exists a sequence with such that
(3) is called to be a -strict pseudo-contraction  if there exists a constant with such that
It is clear that every asymptotically nonexpansive mapping is an asymptotically 0-strict pseudo-contraction and every -strict pseudo-contraction is an asymptotically -strict pseudo-contraction with for all . Moreover, every asymptotically -strict pseudo-contraction with sequence is uniformly -Lispchitzian, where and the fixed point set of asymptotically -strict pseudo-contraction is closed and convex; see [3, Proposition 2.6].
In 2007, S. Takahashi and W. Takahashi  first introduced an iterative scheme by the viscosity approximation method for finding a common element of the set of solutions of the equilibrium problem and the set of fixed points of a nonexpansive mapping in a Hilbert space and proved a strong convergence theorem which is connected with Combettes and Hirstoaga's result  and Wittmann's result . More precisely, they gave the following theorem.
Theorem 1.1 (see ).
In , Tada and Takahashi proposed a hybrid algorithm to find a common element of the set of fixed points of a nonexpansive mapping and the set of solutions of an equilibrium problem and proved the following strong convergence theorem.
Theorem 1.2 (see ).
Recently, Kim and Xu  proposed a hybrid algorithm for finding a fixed point of an asymptotically -strict pseudo-contraction and proved a strong convergence theorem in a Hilbert space.
Theorem 1.3 (see ).
In this paper, motivated by [3, 8], we propose a new algorithm for finding a common element of the set of fixed points of an infinite family of asymptotically strict pseudo-contractions and the set of solutions of an infinite family of equilibrium problems and prove a strong convergence theorem. Our proof is simple and different from those of others, and the main results extend and improve those Kim and Xu , Tada and Takahashi , and many others.
We need the following lemmas for our main results in this paper.
Lemma 2.1 (see ).
Lemma 2.2 (see ).
Then the following hold:
Now, we are ready to give our main results.
This completes the proof.
Now, (3.42), (3.44), and Lemma 3.2 imply (3.43).
As direct consequences of Theorem 3.3, we can obtain the following corollaries.
Our algorithms are of interest because the sequence in Theorem 3.3 is very different from the known manner. The proof is simple and different from those of others. The main results extend and improve those of Kim and Xu , Tada and Takahashi , and many others.
The authors thank the referees for useful comments and suggestions. This study was supported by research funds from Dong-A University.
- Goebel K, Kirk WA: A fixed point theorem for asymptotically nonexpansive mappings. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1972, 35: 171–174. 10.1090/S0002-9939-1972-0298500-3MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE, Petryshyn WV: Construction of fixed points of nonlinear mappings in Hilbert space. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1967, 20: 197–228. 10.1016/0022-247X(67)90085-6MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kim T-H, Xu H-K: Convergence of the modified Mann's iteration method for asymptotically strict pseudo-contractions. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2008,68(9):2828–2836. 10.1016/j.na.2007.02.029MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Liu Q: Convergence theorems of the sequence of iterates for asymptotically demicontractive and hemicontractive mappings. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 1996,26(11):1835–1842. 10.1016/0362-546X(94)00351-HMATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Takahashi S, Takahashi W: Viscosity approximation methods for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems in Hilbert spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007,331(1):506–515. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2006.08.036MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Combettes PL, Hirstoaga SA: Equilibrium programming in Hilbert spaces. Journal of Nonlinear and Convex Analysis 2005,6(1):117–136.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Wittmann R: Approximation of fixed points of nonexpansive mappings. Archiv der Mathematik 1992,58(5):486–491. 10.1007/BF01190119MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Tada A, Takahashi W: Weak and strong convergence theorems for a nonexpansive mapping and an equilibrium problem. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2007,133(3):359–370. 10.1007/s10957-007-9187-zMATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Ceng LC, Schaible S, Yao JC: Implicit iteration scheme with perturbed mapping for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of finitely many nonexpansive mappings. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2008,139(2):403–418. 10.1007/s10957-008-9361-yMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ceng LC, Petruşel A, Yao JC: Iterative approaches to solving equilibrium problems and fixed point problems of infinitely many nonexpansive mappings. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2009,143(1):37–58. 10.1007/s10957-009-9549-9MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Chang S-S, Cho YJ, Kim JK: Approximation methods of solutions for equilibrium problem in Hilbert spaces. Dynamic Systems and Applications 2008,17(3–4):503–513.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Cho YJ, Qin X, Kang JI: Convergence theorems based on hybrid methods for generalized equilibrium problems and fixed point problems. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,71(9):4203–4214. 10.1016/j.na.2009.02.106MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Qin X, Cho YJ, Kang SM: Convergence theorems of common elements for equilibrium problems and fixed point problems in Banach spaces. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics 2009,225(1):20–30. 10.1016/j.cam.2008.06.011MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Blum E, Oettli W: From optimization and variational inequalities to equilibrium problems. The Mathematics Student 1994,63(1–4):123–145.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Sahu DR, Xu H-K, Yao J-C: Asymptotically strict pseudocontractive mappings in the intermediate sense. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,70(10):3502–3511. 10.1016/j.na.2008.07.007MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.