- Letter to the Editor
- Open Access
A Counterexample to "An Extension of Gregus Fixed Point Theorem"
© Sirous Moradi. 2011
- Received: 29 November 2010
- Accepted: 21 February 2011
- Published: 14 March 2011
In the paper by Olaleru and Akewe (2007), the authors tried to generalize Gregus fixed point theorem. In this paper we give a counterexample on their main statement.
- Banach Space
- Vector Space
- Point Theorem
- Differential Geometry
- Convex Subset
Let be a Banach space and be a closed convex subset of . In 1980 Greguš  proved the following results.
In 2007, Olaleru and Akewe  considered the existence of fixed point of when is defined on a closed convex subset of a complete metrizable topological vector space and satisfies condition (1.2) and extended the Gregus fixed point.
Here, we give an example to show that the above mentioned theorem is not correct.
- Greguš M Jr.: A fixed point theorem in Banach space. Unione Matematica Italiana. Bollettino. A 1980,17(1):193–198.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ćirić LjB: On a generalization of a Greguš fixed point theorem. Czechoslovak Mathematical Journal 2000,50(3):449–458. 10.1023/A:1022870007274MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Fisher B, Sessa S: On a fixed point theorem of Greguš. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 1986,9(1):23–28. 10.1155/S0161171286000030MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Jungck G: On a fixed point theorem of Fisher and Sessa. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 1990,13(3):497–500. 10.1155/S0161171290000710MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Mukherjee RN, Verma V: A note on a fixed point theorem of Greguš. Mathematica Japonica 1988,33(5):745–749.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Murthy PP, Cho YJ, Fisher B: Common fixed points of Greguš type mappings. Glasnik Matematički. Serija III 1995,30(2):335–341.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Olaleru JO, Akewe H: An extension of Gregus fixed point theorem. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2007, 2007:-8.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.