- Research Article
- Open Access
On the Existence Result for System of Generalized Strong Vector Quasiequilibrium Problems
© S. Plubtieng and K. Sitthithakerngkiet 2011
- Received: 3 December 2010
- Accepted: 12 January 2011
- Published: 19 January 2011
We introduce a new type of the system of generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problems with set-valued mappings in real locally convex Hausdorff topological vector spaces. We establish an existence theorem by using Kakutani-Fan-Glicksberg fixed-point theorem and discuss the closedness of strong solution set for the system of generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problem. The results presented in the paper improve and extend the main results of Long et al. (2008).
- Equilibrium Problem
- Strong Solution
- Topological Vector Space
- Vector Variational Inequality
- Vector Equilibrium Problem
The equilibrium problem is a generalization of classical variational inequalities. This problem contains many important problems as special cases, for instance, optimization, Nash equilibrium, complementarity, and fixed-point problems (see [1–3] and the references therein). Recently, there has been an increasing interest in the study of vector equilibrium problems. Many results on existence of solutions for vector variational inequalities and vector equilibrium problems have been established (see, e.g., [4–16]).
If is nonempty, and satisfies (1.1), then we call a weak efficient solution for (VEP), and if satisfies (1.2), then we call a strong solution for VEP. Moreover, they also proved an existence theorem for a strong vector equilibrium problem (1.2) (see ).
In 2000, Ansari et al.  introduced the system of vector equilibrium problems (SVEPs), that is, a family of equilibrium problems for vector-valued bifunctions defined on a product set, with applications in vector optimization problems and Nash equilibrium problem  for vector-valued functions. The (SVEP) contains system of equilibrium problems, systems of vector variational inequalities, system of vector variational-like inequalities, system of optimization problems and the Nash equilibrium problem for vector-valued functions as special cases. But, by using (SVEP), we cannot establish the existence of a solution to the Debreu type equilibrium problem  for vector-valued functions which extends the classical concept of Nash equilibrium problem for a noncooperative game. Moreover, Ansari et al.  introduced the following concept of system of vector quasiequilibrium problems.
If for all , then (SVQEP) reduces to (SVEP) (see ) and if the index set is singleton, then (SVQEP) becomes the vector quasiequilibrium problem. Many authors studied the existence of solutions for systems of (vector) quasiequilibrium problems, see, for example, [19–23] and references therein.
On the other hand, it is well known that a strong solution of vector equilibrium problem is an ideal solution, It is better than other solutions such as efficient solution, weak efficient solution, proper efficient solution and supper efficient solution (see ). Thus, it is important to study the existence of strong solution and properties of the strong solution set. In general, the ideal solutions do not exist.
Moreover, they gave an existence theorem for a generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problem without assuming that the dual of the ordering cone has a weak* compact base.
At a quick glance, our required solution seems to be similar to such a thing of Ansari et al. [5, 18], in the case of and . In fact, however, the main different point comes from the independent choice of coordinate. In this paper, we establish an existence theorem of strong solution set for the system of generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problem by using Kakutani-Fan-Glicksberg fixed-point theorem and discuss the closedness of the solution set. Moreover, we apply our result to obtain the result of Long et al. .
Throughout this paper,we suppose that , , and are real locally convex Hausdorff topological vector spaces, and are nonempty compact convex subsets, and is a nonempty closed convex cone. We also suppose that , , and are set-valued mappings.
(i) is said to be upper semicontinuous at if, for any open set containing , there exists an open set containing such that, for all , ; is said to be upper semicontinuous on if it is upper semicontinuous at all .
(ii) is said to be lower semicontinuous at if, for any open set with , there exists an open set containing such that, for all , ; is said to be lower semicontinuous on if it is lower semicontinuous at all .
Lemma 2.4 (see ).
Lemma 2.5 (see ).
In this section, we apply Kakutani-Fan-Glicksberg fixed-point theorem to prove an existence theorem of strong solutions for the system of generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problem. Moreover, we also prove the closedness of strong solution set for the system of generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problem.
For each , let be continuous set-valued mappings such that for any , are nonempty closed convex subsets of . Let be upper semi continuous set-valued mappings such that for any are nonempty closed convex subsets of and be set-valued mappings satisfy the following conditions:
Then, SGSVQEP has a solution. Moreover, the set of all strong solutions is closed.
We claim that . Assume that there exists and . Thus, we note that and is closed. Hence is open and . Since is a locally convex space, there exists a neighbourhood of the origin such that is convex and . This implies that , that is, , which is a contradiction. Therefore . This mean that and so is a closed subset of . Similarly, we have is a closed subset of .
which contradicts to . Hence and, therefore, is a closed mapping. Since is a compact set and is a closed subset of , we note that is compact. Then, is also compact. Hence, by Lemma 2.5(i), is an upper semicontinuous mapping. Similarly, we note that is an upper semicontinuous mapping.
Show that SGSVQEP has a solution.
Hence SGSVQEP has a solution.
Show that the set of solutions of SGSVQEP is closed.
Let be a continuous set-valued mapping such that for any , is nonempty closed convex subset of . Let be an upper semicontinuous set-valued mapping such that for any , is a nonempty closed convex subset of and be set-valued mapping satisfy the following conditions:
Then, GSVQEP has a solution. Moreover, the set of all solution of GSVQEP is closed.
Now we give an example to explain that Theorem 3.1 is applicable.
The authors would like to thank the referees for the insightful comments and suggestions. S. Plubtieng the Thailand Research Fund for financial support under Grants no. BRG5280016. Moreover, K. Sitthithakerngkiet would like to thanks the Office of the Higher Education Commission, Thailand for supporting by grant fund under Grant no. CHE-Ph.D-SW-RG/41/2550, Thailand.
- Bianchi M, Schaible S: Generalized monotone bifunctions and equilibrium problems. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 1996,90(1):31–43. 10.1007/BF02192244MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Blum E, Oettli W: From optimization and variational inequalities to equilibrium problems. The Mathematics Student 1994,63(1–4):123–145.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Oettli W, Schläger D: Existence of equilibria for monotone multivalued mappings. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 1998,48(2):219–228. 10.1007/s001860050024MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ansari QH, Oettli W, Schläger D: A generalization of vectorial equilibria. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 1997,46(2):147–152. 10.1007/BF01217687MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ansari QH, Schaible S, Yao JC: System of vector equilibrium problems and its applications. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2000,107(3):547–557. 10.1023/A:1026495115191MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bianchi M, Hadjisavvas N, Schaible S: Vector equilibrium problems with generalized monotone bifunctions. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 1997,92(3):527–542. 10.1023/A:1022603406244MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Debreu G: A social equilibrium existence theorem. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1952, 38: 886–893. 10.1073/pnas.38.10.886MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Fu J-Y: Generalized vector quasiequilibrium problems. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 2000,52(1):57–64. 10.1007/s001860000058MathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Giannessi F: Vector Variational Inequilities and Vector Equilibria, Mathematical Theories. Volume 38. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands; 2000:xiv+523.View ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Gong X: Strong vector equilibrium problems. Journal of Global Optimization 2006,36(3):339–349. 10.1007/s10898-006-9012-5MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Gong XH: Efficiency and Henig efficiency for vector equilibrium problems. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2001,108(1):139–154. 10.1023/A:1026418122905MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Holmes RB: Geometric Functional Analysis and Its Application, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, no. 2. Springer, New York, NY, USA; 1975:x+246.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Hou SH, Gong XH, Yang XM: Existence and stability of solutions for generalized Ky Fan inequality problems with trifunctions. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2010,146(2):387–398. 10.1007/s10957-010-9656-7MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Huang NJ, Li J, Thompson HB: Stability for parametric implicit vector equilibrium problems. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 2006,43(11–12):1267–1274. 10.1016/j.mcm.2005.06.010MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Li SJ, Teo KL, Yang XQ: Generalized vector quasiequilibrium problems. Mathematical Methods of Operations Research 2005,61(3):385–397. 10.1007/s001860400412MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Long X, Huang N, Teo K: Existence and stability of solutions for generalized strong vector quasiequilibrium problem. Mathematical and Computer Modelling 2008,47(3–4):445–451. 10.1016/j.mcm.2007.04.013MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ansari QH, Oettli W, Schiager D: A generalization of vectorial equilibria. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Operations Research and Its Applications (ISORA '96), December1996, Guilin, China. Volume 1114. World Publishing; 181–185.Google Scholar
- Ansari QH, Chan WK, Yang XQ: The system of vector quasiequilibrium problems with applications. Journal of Global Optimization 2004,29(1):45–57.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ansari QH: Existence of solutions of systems of generalized implicit vector quasiequilibrium problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2008,341(2):1271–1283. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2007.11.033MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ansari QH, Khan Z: System of generalized vector quasiequilibrium problems with applications. In Mathematical Analysis and Applications. Volume 7. Edited by: Nanda S, Rajasekhar GP. Narosa, New Delhi, India; 2004:1–13.Google Scholar
- Ansari QH, Lin LJ, Su LB: Systems of simultaneous generalized vector quasiequilibrium problems and their applications. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2005,127(1):27–44. 10.1007/s10957-005-6391-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Ansari QH, Schaible S, Yao J-C: The system of generalized vector equilibrium problems with applications. Journal of Global Optimization 2002,22(1–4):3–16.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Lin L-J: System of generalized vector quasiequilibrium problems with applications to fixed point theorems for a family of nonexpansive multivalued mappings. Journal of Global Optimization 2006,34(1):15–32. 10.1007/s10898-005-4702-yMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Aubin J-P, Ekeland I: Applied Nonlinear Analysis, Pure and Applied Mathematics. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA; 1984:xi+518.MATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.