- Research Article
- Open Access
Relation between Fixed Point and Asymptotical Center of Nonexpansive Maps
© Mohammad Reza Haddadi et al. 2011
- Received: 19 October 2010
- Accepted: 22 November 2010
- Published: 2 December 2010
We introduce the concept of asymptotic center of maps and consider relation between asymptotic center and fixed point of nonexpansive maps in a Banach space.
- Banach Space
- Positive Integer
- Continuous Mapping
- Compact Subset
- Convex Subset
Many topics and techniques regarding asymptotic centers and asymptotic radius were studied by Edelstein , Bose and Laskar , Downing and Kirk , Goebel and Kirk , and Lan and Webb . Now, We recall that definitions of asymptotic center and asymptotic radius.
We present new definitions of asymptotic center and asymptotic radius that is for a mapping and obtain new results.
Our new results are presented in this section.
Concerning the first case we proceed as follows.
Proposition 2.1 (Theorem 2.2) is a generalizations of Theorem 3.1 (Theorem 3.3) in . It can be verified that definition of space is not necessary here.
As an easy consequence of both Proposition 2.1 and Theorem 2.2, we deduce the following result.
Now we define the mapping by . Since the mapping is upper semicontinuous and for every is a compact convex set we can apply the Kakutani-Bohnenblust-Karlin Theorem in  to obtain a fixed point for and hence for .
Let be a normed space, a nonexpansive mapping with an approximating fixed point sequence and be a nonempty subset of such that is a nonempty star-shaped subset of . Then has an approximating fixed-point sequence in .
Let be a normed space, a nonexpansive mapping with an approximating fixed-point sequence and be a nonempty subset of such that . Suppose is a nonempty weakly compact star-shaped subset of . If is demiclosed, then has a fixed point in .
- Edelstein M: The construction of an asymptotic center with a fixed-point property. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 1972, 78: 206–208. 10.1090/S0002-9904-1972-12918-5MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Bose SC, Laskar SK: Fixed point theorems for certain class of mappings. Journal of Mathematical and Physical Sciences 1985,19(6):503–509.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Downing D, Kirk WA: Fixed point theorems for set-valued mappings in metric and Banach spaces. Mathematica Japonica 1977,22(1):99–112.MATHMathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Goebel K, Kirk WA: Topics in Metric Fixed Point Theory, Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics. Volume 28. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK; 1990:viii+244.View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Lan KQ, Webb JRL: -properness and fixed point theorems for dissipative type maps. Abstract and Applied Analysis 1999,4(2):83–100. 10.1155/S108533759900010XMATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Klee VL Jr.: Some topological properties of convex sets. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 1955, 78: 30–45. 10.1090/S0002-9947-1955-0069388-5MATHMathSciNetView ArticleGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.