- Research Article
- Open Access
Browder's Convergence for Uniformly Asymptotically Regular Nonexpansive Semigroups in Hilbert Spaces
© G. López Acedo and T. Suzuki. 2010
- Received: 6 October 2009
- Accepted: 14 October 2009
- Published: 15 October 2009
We give a sufficient and necessary condition concerning a Browder's convergence type theorem for uniformly asymptotically regular one-parameter nonexpansive semigroups in Hilbert spaces.
- Hilbert Space
- Banach Space
- Topological Vector Space
- Type Theorem
- Implicit Method
Let be a closed convex subset of a Hilbert space . A mapping on is called a nonexpansive mapping if for all . We denote by the set of fixed points of . Browder, see , proved that is nonempty provided that is, in addition, bounded. Kirk in a very celebrated paper, see , extended this result to the setting of reflexive Banach spaces with normal structure.
Namely, , , is the unique fixed point of the contraction , . Browder proved that , where is the element of nearest to . Extensions to the framework of Banach spaces of Browder's convergence results have been done by many authors, including Reich , Takahashi and Ueda , and O'Hara et al. .
Theorem 1.1 (see ).
Theorem 1.2 (see ).
There is an interesting difference between Theorems 1.1 and 1.2, that is, in Theorem 1.1 converges to and in Theorem 1.2 diverges to . By the way, very recently, Akiyama and Suzuki  generalized Theorem 1.1. They replaced (C2) of Theorem 1.1 by the following:
They also showed that the conjunction of (C ) and (C ) is best possible; see also .
The following proposition plays an important role in this paper.
It is well known that every Hilbert space has the Opial property.
Proposition 2.2 (Opial ).
We generalize Theorem 1.2.
By Theorem 2.3 and Example 2.5, we obtain the following.
The first author was partially supported by DGES, Grant MTM2006-13997-C02-01 and Junta de Andalucía, Grant FQM-127. The second author is supported in part by Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research from the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- Browder FE: Fixed-point theorems for noncompact mappings in Hilbert space. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1965, 53: 1272–1276. 10.1073/pnas.53.6.1272MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kirk WA: A fixed point theorem for mappings which do not increase distances. The American Mathematical Monthly 1965, 72: 1004–1006. 10.2307/2313345MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE: Convergence of approximants to fixed points of nonexpansive non-linear mappings in Banach spaces. Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis 1967, 24: 82–90.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Reich S: Weak convergence theorems for nonexpansive mappings in Banach spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1979,67(2):274–276. 10.1016/0022-247X(79)90024-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Takahashi W, Ueda Y: On Reich's strong convergence theorems for resolvents of accretive operators. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1984,104(2):546–553. 10.1016/0022-247X(84)90019-2MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- O'Hara JG, Pillay P, Xu H-K: Iterative approaches to finding nearest common fixed points of nonexpansive mappings in Hilbert spaces. Nonlinear Analysis 2003,54(8):1417–1426. 10.1016/S0362-546X(03)00193-7MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Belluce LP, Kirk WA: Nonexpansive mappings and fixed-points in Banach spaces. Illinois Journal of Mathematics 1967, 11: 474–479.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE: Nonexpansive nonlinear operators in a Banach space. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1965, 54: 1041–1044. 10.1073/pnas.54.4.1041MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Bruck RE Jr.: A common fixed point theorem for a commuting family of nonexpansive mappings. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1974, 53: 59–71.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- DeMarr R: Common fixed points for commuting contraction mappings. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1963, 13: 1139–1141.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Lim TC: A fixed point theorem for families on nonexpansive mappings. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1974, 53: 487–493.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Common fixed points of one-parameter nonexpansive semigroups. The Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society 2006,38(6):1009–1018. 10.1112/S0024609306018893MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Fixed point property for nonexpansive mappings versus that for nonexpansive semigroups. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2009,70(9):3358–3361. 10.1016/j.na.2008.05.003MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Akiyama S, Suzuki T: Browder's convergence for one-parameter nonexpansive semigroups. to appear in Canadian Mathematical BulletinGoogle Scholar
- Aleyner A, Censor Y: Best approximation to common fixed points of a semigroup of nonexpansive operators. Journal of Nonlinear and Convex Analysis. 2005,6(1):137–151.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Domínguez Benavides T, Acedo GL, Xu H-K: Construction of sunny nonexpansive retractions in Banach spaces. Bulletin of the Australian Mathematical Society 2002,66(1):9–16. 10.1017/S0004972700020621MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: On strong convergence to common fixed points of nonexpansive semigroups in Hilbert spaces. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 2003,131(7):2133–2136. 10.1090/S0002-9939-02-06844-2MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Browder's type convergence theorems for one-parameter semigroups of nonexpansive mappings in Banach spaces. Israel Journal of Mathematics 2007,157(1):239–257. 10.1007/s11856-006-0010-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Opial Z: Weak convergence of the sequence of successive approximations for nonexpansive mappings. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society 1967, 73: 591–597. 10.1090/S0002-9904-1967-11761-0MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Moudafi's viscosity approximations with Meir-Keeler contractions. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2007,325(1):342–352. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2006.01.080MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Moudafi A: Viscosity approximation methods for fixed-points problems. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2000,241(1):46–55. 10.1006/jmaa.1999.6615MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.