- Research Article
- Open Access
Construction of Fixed Points by Some Iterative Schemes
© A. El-Sayed Ahmed and A. Kamal. 2009
- Received: 23 October 2008
- Accepted: 23 February 2009
- Published: 8 March 2009
We obtain strong convergence theorems of two modifications of Mann iteration processes with errors in the doubly sequence setting. Furthermore, we establish some weakly convergence theorems for doubly sequence Mann's iteration scheme with errors in a uniformly convex Banach space by a Frechét differentiable norm.
- Banach Space
- Nonexpansive Mapping
- Strong Convergence
- Iteration Process
- Real Banach Space
Reich  proved that if is a uniformly convex Banach space with a Frechét differentiable norm and if is chosen such that then the sequence defined by (1.1) converges weakly to a fixed point of However, this scheme has only weak convergence even in a Hilbert space (see ). Some attempts to modify Mann's iteration method (1.1) so that strong convergence is guaranteed have recently been made.
where denotes the metric projection from onto a closed convex subset of . They proved that if the sequence is bounded from one, then defined by (1.2) converges strongly to Their argument does not work outside the Hilbert space setting. Also, at each iteration step, an additional projection is needed to calculate.
where is an arbitrary (but fixed) element in , and and are two sequences in It is proved, under certain appropriate assumptions on the sequences and that defined by (1.3) converges to a fixed point of (see ).
The second modification of Mann's iteration method (1.1) is an adaption to (1.3) for finding a zero of an -accretive operator , for which we assume that the zero set
where for each is the resolvent of . In , it is proved, in a uniformly smooth Banach space and under certain appropriate assumptions on the sequences and , that defined by (1.4) converges strongly to a zero of
Now, we define Opial's condition in the sense of doubly sequence.
where denotes that converges weakly to
We are going to work in uniformly smooth Banach spaces that can be characterized by duality mappings as follows (see  for more details).
Lemma 2.2 (see ).
A Banach space is uniformly smooth if and only if the duality map is single-valued and norm-to-norm uniformly continuous on bounded sets of
Lemma 2.3 (see ).
If and are nonempty subsets of a Banach space such that is a nonempty closed convex subset and then the map is called a retraction from onto provided for all A retraction is sunny [1, 4] provided for all and whenever A sunny nonexpansive retraction is a sunny retraction, which is also nonexpansive. A sunny nonexpansive retraction plays an important role in our argument.
Lemma 2.4 (see ).
where and are such that
Then, converges to zero.
Lemma 2.6 (see ).
Assume that has a weakly continuous duality map with gauge . Then, is demiclosed in the sense that is closed in the product space , where is equipped with the norm topology and with the weak topology. That is, if then
Lemma 2.7 (see ).
Let be a Banach space and Then,
where the closed ball of centered at the origin with radius r, and
where is a constant.
Lemma 2.8 (see ).
Let be a closed convex subset of a uniformly convex Banach space with a Fréchet differentiable norm, and let be a sequence of nonexpansive self mapping of with a nonempty common fixed point set If and for then exists for all In particular, where and are weak limit points of
Lemma 2.9 (the demiclosedness principle of nonexpansive mappings ).
In 2005, Kim and Xu , proved the following theorem.
Let be a closed convex subset of a uniformly smooth Banach space , and let be a nonexpansive mapping such that Given a point and given sequences and in the following conditions are satisfied.
Then is strongly converges to a fixed point of .
Recently, the study of fixed points by doubly Mann iteration process began by Moore (see ). In [15, 16], we introduced the concept of Mann-type doubly sequence iteration with errors, then we obtained some fixed point theorems for some different classes of mappings. In this paper, we will continue our study in the doubly sequence setting. We propose two modifications of the doubly Mann iteration process with errors in uniformly smooth Banach spaces: one for nonexpansive mappings and the other for the resolvent of accretive operators. The two modified doubly Mann iterations are proved to have strong convergence. Also, we append this paper by obtaining weak convergence theorems for Mann's doubly sequence iteration with errors in a uniformly convex Banach space by a Fréchet differentiable norm. Our results in this paper extend, generalize, and improve a lot of known results (see, e.g., [4, 7, 8, 17]). Our generalizations and improvements are in the use of doubly sequence settings as well as by adding the error part in the iteration processes.
The advantage of this modification is that not only strong convergence is guaranteed, but also computations of iteration processes are not substantially increased.
Now, we will generalize and extend Theorem A by using scheme (3.1).
Let be a closed convex subset of a uniformly smooth Banach space and let be a nonexpansive mapping such that Given a point and given sequences and in the following conditions are satisfied.
Define a sequence in by (3.1). Then, converges strongly to a fixed point of
Hence, by assumptions (i)-(ii), we obtain
Now we apply Lemma 2.5, and using (3.11) we obtain that
We support our results by giving the following examples.
Let be given by Then, the modified doubly Mann's iteration process with errors converges to the fixed point , and both Picard and Mann iteration processes converge to the same point too.
Doubly Picards iteration converges.
Doubly Mann's iteration converges.
Let and using Theorem 3.1 ( we obtain
Let be given by Then the doubly Mann's iteration converges to the fixed point of but modified doubly Mann's iteration process with errors does not converge.
The last inequality is true because for all and
(II)The origin is the unique fixed point of
Letting we deduce that
Lemma 4.1 ( (the resolvent identity)).
Suppose and satisfy the conditions,
Then, converges strongly to a zero of
where is a constant such that for all and By assumptions (i)–(iii) in the theorem, we have that and Hence, Lemma 2.5 is applicable to (4.12), and we conclude that
Now we apply Lemma 2.5 and using (4.20), we obtain that
Let be a uniformly convex Banach space with a Frechét differentiable norm. Assume that has a weakly continuous duality map with gauge . Assume also that
Then, the scheme (5.1) converges weakly to a point in
First, we observe that for any , the sequence is nonincreasing.
In particular, is bounded, so is . Let be the set of weak limit point of the sequence
By Lemma 2.6, we conclude that that is, .
Let be a uniformly convex Banach space which either has a Frechét differentiable norm or satisfies Opial's property. Assume for some
Then, the scheme (5.1) converges weakly to a point in
For any fixed by Lemma 4.1, we have
Apply Lemma 2.9 to find out that It remains to show that is a singleton set. Towards this end, we take and distinguish the two cases.
In either case, we have shown that consists of exact one point, which is clearly the weak limit of
- Bruck RE Jr.: Nonexpansive projections on subsets of Banach spaces. Pacific Journal of Mathematics 1973, 47: 341–355.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Byrne C: A unified treatment of some iterative algorithms in signal processing and image reconstruction. Inverse Problems 2004,20(1):103–120. 10.1088/0266-5611/20/1/006MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Podilchuk CI, Mammone RJ: Image recovery by convex projections using a least-squares constraint. Journal of the Optical Society of America A 1990,7(3):517–521. 10.1364/JOSAA.7.000517View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Reich S: Strong convergence theorems for resolvents of accretive operators in Banach spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1980,75(1):287–292. 10.1016/0022-247X(80)90323-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Genel A, Lindenstrauss J: An example concerning fixed points. Israel Journal of Mathematics 1975,22(1):81–86. 10.1007/BF02757276MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Nakajo K, Takahashi W: Strong convergence theorems for nonexpansive mappings and nonexpansive semigroups. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2003,279(2):372–379. 10.1016/S0022-247X(02)00458-4MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kim T-H, Xu H-K: Strong convergence of modified Mann iterations. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2005,61(1–2):51–60. 10.1016/j.na.2004.11.011MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Dominguez Benavides T, Lopez Acedo G, Xu H-K: Iterative solutions for zeros of accretive operators. Mathematische Nachrichten 2003,248–249(1):62–71.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Reich S: Weak convergence theorems for nonexpansive mappings in Banach spaces. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1979,67(2):274–276. 10.1016/0022-247X(79)90024-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xu H-K: Iterative algorithms for nonlinear operators. Journal of the London Mathematical Society 2002,66(1):240–256. 10.1112/S0024610702003332MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xu H-K: An iterative approach to quadratic optimization. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications 2003,116(3):659–678. 10.1023/A:1023073621589MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Xu H-K: Inequalities in Banach spaces with applications. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 1991,16(12):1127–1138. 10.1016/0362-546X(91)90200-KMathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE: Nonexpansive nonlinear operators in a Banach space. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 1965, 54: 1041–1044. 10.1073/pnas.54.4.1041MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Moore C: A double-sequence iteration process for fixed points of continuous pseudocontractions. Computers & Mathematics with Applications 2002,43(12):1585–1589. 10.1016/S0898-1221(02)00121-9MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- El-Sayed Ahmed A, Kamal A: Strong convergence of Mann type doubly sequence iterations with applications. Southeast Asian Bulletin of Mathematics 2009,33(1):1–11.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- El-Sayed Ahmed A, Kamal A: Fixed point theorems for asymptotically nonexpansive mappings in uniformly convex Banach spaces. Mathematica Tome 2008,50 (73)(2):103–118.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Berinde V: Iterative Approximation of Fixed Points, Lecture Notes in Mathematics. Volume 1912. 2nd edition. Springer, Berlin, Germany; 2007:xvi+322.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Shioji N, Takahashi W: Strong convergence of approximated sequences for nonexpansive mappings in Banach spaces. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 1997,125(12):3641–3645. 10.1090/S0002-9939-97-04033-1MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Browder FE, Petryshyn WV: Construction of fixed points of nonlinear mappings in Hilbert space. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 1967, 20: 197–228. 10.1016/0022-247X(67)90085-6MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Takahashi W: Nonlinear Functional Analysis: Fixed Point Theory and Its Application. Yokohama Publishers, Yokohama, Japan; 2000:iv+276.MATHGoogle Scholar
- Chidume CE, Ali B: Convergence theorems for common fixed points for finite families of nonexpansive mappings in reflexive Banach spaces. Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods & Applications 2008,68(11):3410–3418. 10.1016/j.na.2007.03.032MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Suzuki T: Strong convergence of Krasnoselskii and Mann's type sequences for one-parameter nonexpansive semigroups without Bochner integrals. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2005,305(1):227–239. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.11.017MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Wang Y-Q: Iteration scheme with errors and perturbed mapping for common fixed points of a finite family of nonexpansive mappings. Mathematica Applicata 2007,20(4):801–807.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Shahzad N, Zegeye H: Strong convergence results for nonself multimaps in Banach spaces. Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 2008,136(2):539–548.MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Zhao J, He S, Su Y: Weak and strong convergence theorems for nonexpansive mappings in Banach spaces. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2008, Article ID 751383, 2008:-7.Google Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.