Erratum to: Common Fixed Point Theorems for Hybrid Pairs of Occasionally Weakly Compatible Mappings Satisfying Generalized Contractive Condition of Integral Type Revisited
© M. Abbas and B. E. Rhoades. 2008
Received: 3 September 2008
Accepted: 30 September 2008
Published: 11 November 2008
We are indebted to Valeriu Popa for pointing out our error in . In looking again at the paper, we came up with the following example.
Let with the usual metric, and define by . Since , every point is a coincidence point, and . Also, for all and , and for , so and satisfy the hypotheses of all theorems and corollaries in , but and have no common fixed point.
Thus, it is not surprising that there are a number of papers involving hybrid pairs in which the conclusion of the theorems is not a common fixed point, but a common coincidence point (see, e.g., [2–10]). To obtain a common fixed point, a number of theorems assume the strong condition that the common coincidence point is also a fixed point of one of the maps.
- Abbas M, Rhoades BE: Common fixed point theorems for hybrid pairs of occasionally weakly compatible mappings satisfying generalized contractive condition of integral type. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2007, 2007:-9.Google Scholar
- Constantin A: Coincidence point theorems for multivalued contraction mappings. Mathematica Japonica 1991, 36(5):925–933.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Imdad M, Ahmad A, Kumar S: On nonlinear nonself hybrid contractions. Radovi Matematički 2001, 10(2):233–244.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kamran T: Coincidence and fixed points for hybrid strict contractions. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2004, 299(1):235–241. 10.1016/j.jmaa.2004.06.047MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Kubiaczyk I, Deshpande B: Coincidence point for noncompatible multivalued maps satisfying an implicit relation. Demonstratio Mathematica 2006, 39(4):855–862.MathSciNetMATHGoogle Scholar
- Naidu SVR: Fixed points and coincidence points for multimaps with not necessarily bounded images. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2004, 2004(3):221–242. 10.1155/S1687182004308090MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Pathak HK, Mishra SN: Coincidence points for hybrid mappings. Rostocker Mathematisches Kolloquium 2004, (58):67–85.
- Singh SL, Giniswamy : Concidences and fixed point theorems for single valued and multivalued maps. Fixed Point Theory and Applications 2004, 2004(5):127–139.MathSciNetGoogle Scholar
- Singh SL, Ha KS, Cho YJ: Coincidence and fixed points of nonlinear hybrid contractions. International Journal of Mathematics and Mathematical Sciences 1989, 12(2):247–256. 10.1155/S0161171289000281MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
- Singh SL, Mishra SN: Coincidences and fixed points of nonself hybrid contractions. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 2001, 256(2):486–497. 10.1006/jmaa.2000.7301MathSciNetView ArticleMATHGoogle Scholar
This article is published under license to BioMed Central Ltd. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.